Museum of Fine Arts, Boston: The Museum Year 2010

The Year

Art of the Americas: July 2009–June 2010


Return to Results

Object 6 of 56 | Prev | Next


Escritorio (writing desk)

about 1671
Overall (Writing desk): 63.1 x 105 x 45.1 cm (24 13/16 x 41 5/16 x 17 3/4 in.)
Linaloe, granadillo, cedar, with marquetry and filled engraving

Classification: Furniture

Object Place: Villa Alta de San Ildefonso, Oaxaca, Mexico

Accession number: 2010.370

Location: William J. Fitzgerald Gallery (Latin America)

Provenance/Ownership History: Early history unknown; by 1970 until 2007, private collection, France [1]; 2007, anonymous (private collection) sale, Thierry de Maigret, Paris, 13 June 2007, lot 154, to Alexander di Carcaci Ltd; 2008, sold by Alexander di Carcaci Ltd, London, to Carlton Hobbs LLC, London; 2010, sold by Carlton Hobbs LLC, New York, to the MFA. Notes: [1] Letter from Thierry de Maigret, Paris, 29 January 2010, states that the desk was in France by at least 1970, in the possession of a family residing in the Paris region.

Museum purchase with funds donated anonymously, William Francis Warden Fund, American Decorative Arts Deaccession Fund, Arthur Tracy Cabot Fund, Edwin E. Jack Fund, and by exchange from a Gift of Harold Whitworth Pierce, Gift of Miss Ellen Graves, Mr. Samuel Cabot and Mrs. Roger Ernst in memory of their father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Edmund P. Graves, Gift of Mary W. Bartol, John W. Bartol, and Abigail W. Clark, William E. Nickerson Fund, Gift of Mrs. Henry Lyman, Bequest of Barbara Boylston Bean, Charles Amos Cummings Fund, Gift of Mrs. Charles L. Bybee, Bequest of Dudley Leavitt Pickman, Gift of Henry G. E. Payson, and from funds donated by Mrs. Walter Hunnewell in memory of Walter Hunnewell