Amulet of a djed-pillar
Overall: 2.2 x 0.9 cm (7/8 x 3/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
This amulet is made of a dull blue glass with no polish. It has a ring at the top and incised lines on the face while the back is flat and plain. The amulet represents the djed-pillar. The pillar, which symbolized the spinal column of the funerary god Osiris, was the hieroglyphic symbol for stability.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way