Amulet of Khnum or Harsaphes (Heryshef)
Late Period, Dynasty 25–30
Height: 3.1 cm (1 1/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
This amulet of pale green glazed faience depicts a ram-headed male deity standing and walking forward. Egypt had multiple ram gods and it is often difficult to identify which one is intended. This god may be Khnum, the patron deity of Elephantine (modern Aswan) or Harsaphes, the patron of Heracleopolis. In either case, amulets of this type were placed in burials to assist the rebirth of the deceased in the afterlife. There is a ring on the back for suspension. The amulet has been broken and repaired, and the right knee is damaged.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way