Amulet of the head of Hathor

New Kingdom–Hellenistic Period (Ptolemaic Dynast
1550–30 B.C.


Overall: 1.3 x 0.9 cm (1/2 x 3/8 in.)

Accession Number


Medium or Technique


Not On View


Jewelry, The Ancient World



Hathor head amulets were popular from the New Kingdom to the Greco-Roman period. Hathor, the goddess of love and protector of the dead, is shown as a woman with the ears of a cow, wearing a distinctive, heavy wig with the ends coiled into spirals. This poorly preserved example was made of dark green glazed faience, from which virtually all the glaze is now missing. The back is flat and there is a a horizontal hole throughthe crown for suspension.


By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.

Credit Line

Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way