Amulet of the head of Hathor
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Findspot: Egypt, Deir el-Bahri
Height x width: 0.7 x 0.5 cm (1/4 x 3/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Hathor head amulets were popular from the New Kingdom to the Greco-Roman period. Hathor, the goddess of love and protector of the dead, is shown as a woman with the ears of a cow, wearing a distinctive, heavy wig with the ends coiled into spirals. This highly stylized example is made of blue-green glazed faience. The back is flat and decorated with an incised spiral decoration. There is a horizontal hole through the top for suspension.
From Dier-el-Bahari. 1906: excavated by the Egypt Exploration Fund; assigned to the EEF in the division of finds by the Egyptian government; voted to the MFA at EEF general meeting; sent over 1906.
(Accession date: October 11, 1906)
Egypt Exploration Fund by subscription