Object Place: Roxbury, Massachusetts, United States
88.3 x 25.2 x 8.9 cm (34 3/4 x 9 15/16 x 3 1/2 in.)
Medium or Technique
Mahogany veneer, curly maple veneer, pine, brass finial
Not On View
The clock has an enameled white face with Roman numerals, filed hands, a brass bezel, a single ball finial, and openwork side arms. The glasses are painted with pale green panels on a white ground, with borders of gilt rays. The upper glass has a central triangular panel filled with stars, while the lower glass centers a smaller green panel with an aperture for viewing the pendulum and the inscription. The frames of the glasses are treated with a border of curly maple and an outer band of mahogany. The sides of the case are inlaid with panels of curly maple within mahogany borders, the panel at the top being oval and the lower two triangular. There is a brass pull and a brass strap catch.
The case is pine, veneered with mahogany and maple. There was at one time an added bracket which has been removed.
On door panel in gilt: "S. Willard's Patent"
Early history unknown; Bought by the donor, Miss Theodora Willard of Cambridge, in 1892 "from a second-hand shop on Cambridge Street Boston - for $15 -"; bequeathed by Miss Theodora Willard to the Museum in 1937 (Accession Date June 3, 1937)
Bequest of Miss Theodora Willard