Behemoth: A Legend of Mound-Builders
F. (Frank?) Chapman (Swiss, 1780–1860)
Not in Karolik (1962) cat.
Each sheet: 19.1 x 12.4 cm (7 1/2 x 4 7/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Thirty-nine sheets contained in red cloth cover
Not On View
List of plates:
1. The Mound builders first sight of Behemoth
2. The Mound Builders first sight of Behemoth
3. Untitled, subject same as 1 and 2.
4. Behemoth’s invasion of the Villages of the Mound builders
5. The Obsequies of the slain
6. Despair of Mound Builders
7. Bikulla Meditating
8. Bokulla addressing the Mound Builders
9. Preparations for an Enterprize agaisnt Behemoth
10. The Departure of teh Enterprize
11. (A procession, slight sketch)
12. The Enterprise Sets Outh
13. (Behemoth discovered sporting in the ocean); landscape on verso.
14. (Behemoth discovered sporting int the ocean)
15. Defeat and Flight of the Mound Builders
16. Defeat and Flight of the Mound Builders
17. Bokulla seated upon the Fallen Oak in the Wilderness
18. Bokulla discovering footsteps
19. Bokulla discovers the foot marks
20. Bokulla discovers the Retreat of Behemoth
21. Bokulla discovers the Retreat of Behemoth
22. Bokulla and the wild horse; riding to r.
23. Bokulla and the wild horse; riding to l.
24. Bokulla’s Return
25. Reception of Bokulla by the Mound Builders; verso: pencil sketch of eight-sided figure.
26. (Reception of Bokulla) slight sketch
27. Reception of Bokulla by the Mound Builders
28. Games and Ceremonies in honour of Bokulla’s Return
29. choosing the Duputation
30. Bokulla and the Deputies arrive at the Retreat of Behemoth
31. Bokulla and the Deputies arrive at the Retreat of Behemoth
32. Building the Wall. slight sketch
33. (Building the Wall); verso: graphite sketch similar to verso of #25.
34. The Wall completed. Slight sketch
35. (The Wal Completed)
36. (Behemoth trapped)
37. Behemoth perishing with Famine
38. Death of Behemoth
39. 2 designs on same sheet: Despair of the Mound Builders (top); Behemoth perishing with famine (bottom).
Gift of Maxim Karolik for the proposed M. and M. Karolik Collection of American Watercolors, Drawings, and Prints, 1800-1875
Bequest of Maxim Karolik for the M. and M. Karolik Collection of American Watercolors and Drawings, 1800–1875