Arandita (South American, active about 1850–1900)
Object Place: Argentina
2 x 23.1 cm (13/16 x 9 1/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
William J. Fitzgerald Gallery (Gallery 135)
The strawlike cylinder has stem ornamentation with applied bands and alternating pinched and stamped decoration, a flattened mouthpiece, and a flattened pierced bulb form
The maker’s name “ARANTIDA” that appears on the bulb of this bombilla may be the same as that found on a portion of a bit dating to the end of the nineteenth century.
This text has been adapted from “Silver of the Americas, 1600-2000,” edited by Jeannine Falino and Gerald W.R. Ward, published in 2008 by the MFA. Complete references can be found in that publication.
Script engraving "B. M" placed at mouthpiece.
At strainer end, marked "600" and "ARANTIDA"
Collected in Buenos Aires, Argentina, by Mr. and Mrs. Edmund P. Graves between 1898 and 1913.
Gift of Miss Ellen Graves, Mrs. Samuel Cabot and Mrs. Roger Ernst in memory of their father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Edmund P. Graves