Bookcase cabinet

Cabinet

1830–40
Possibly made by J. & J. W. Meeks (American, active 1836–1859)


Object Place: New York, New York, United States

Dimensions

Overall: 223.5 x 157.5 x 64.8 cm (88 x 62 x 25 1/2 in.)

Accession Number

1980.35

Medium or Technique

Mahogany, painted and gilt stenciled decoration, mahogany veneer, pine, brass

Not On View

Collections

Americas

Classifications

Case furniture and boxes

Mahogany with painted and gilt stenciled decoration, mahogany veneer and pine. Empire style. Divided glass doors with gilded mullions forming on each one 2 superimposed gothic ogee arches flanking columns with composite capitals, and stencilled leaf pattern. Cornice is veneered 6 stenciled, upcurving with central fruit motif. Each paw feet 6 winged brackets. 3 pine drawers with mahogany strips across front.

Provenance

According to family tradition, it was originally owned by Martha Coggeshall Holly, whose son Sidney Augustus Holly married Alexander Hamilton's daughter Eliza. The cabinet descended in the family of Sidney and Eliza Holly to Miss Adelaide Milton de Groot. In 1959 Miss de Groot gave the cabinet to the Stratford Historical Society (SHS), in Stratford, Connecticut. In 1979, it was deaccessioned by SHS, and in 1980 purchased by the MFA with funds donated by The Seminarians (Accession Date: February 20, 1980)

Credit Line

Gift of The Seminarians