Object Place: Europe, Berlin, Germany
Height x depth x length: 5.7 x 1.5 x 18.8 cm (2 1/4 x 9/16 x 7 3/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
One of a pair of bracelets. Cast iron, very thin and delicate. Seven links. Worn by the ladies of Hungary as a sign of mourning after real jewels had been given to the patriots of Hungary. Given by the Countess Pulasky who with the Count came to America with Kossuth in 1852, to Mrs. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, wife of the poet.
In the winter of 1851, Countess Pulasky of Hungary gave Frances Appleton Longfellow, the poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s wife, a gift of two black-lacquered Berlin cast-iron bracelets with a matching filigree brooch while visiting the couple as part of a broader trip to the United States. She was accompanied by her husband and the noted Hungarian patriot Louis Kossuth, who greatly admired Henry Longfellow’s poetry; the admiration was mutual, for Longfellow knew all about Kossuth’s prodemocracy efforts in Hungary and welcomed him enthusiastically. Most likely this jewelry suite was made in the Berlin foundry of Devaranne and Son, for similar ornaments by this firm were displayed at the Crystal Palace Exhibition in London in 1851.
Gift of Miss Alice M. Longfellow and Mrs. Joseph G. Thorp