Made by Markwick-Markham partnership (about 1725–about 1805)
45.8 x 24.2 x 17.4 cm (18 1/16 x 9 1/2 x 6 7/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Tortoiseshell veneered on oak and mahogany; gilt-bronze mounts; silvered dial with enameled decoration
Not On View
The rectangular tortoise-shell veneered clock case is canted at the corners and arches above the dial to support a dome surmounted by a tall baluster-shaped gilt-bronze finial. The case is supported on four double-scroll gilt-bronze feet. Other gilt-bronze mounts include a guilloche band located above the feet, the four corner supports which include scrolls, acanthus leaves, and berries, openwork panels at the side composed of scrolls, flowers, and a vase of flowers, four vase-shaped finials above the projecting canted corners, openwork decorated with C-scrolls and vase of flowers that covers the spandrels, an openwork leafy scroll collar at the base of the dome, and oval bands headed by bows above. The plate that surrounds the principal dial is silvered and decorated with champleve polychrome enamels.
Dial painted "Markwick Markham et Marko London", backplate of movement engraved with same.
H. Blairman & Sons, London. By 1965, Forsyth Wickes, New York and Newport, RI (d. 1964); 1965, bequest of Wickes. (Accession Date: December 24, 1965)
Bequest of Forsyth Wickes—The Forsyth Wickes Collection