Object Place: West Boxford, Massachusetts
Medium or Technique
Brown-Pearl Hall (Gallery LG35)
The woodwork in this room came from a house built by Cornelius Brown (or Browne), a farmer, and his wife Susannah in a small town in Essex County, north of Boston. In 1738 the house passed to Richard Pearl and descended in his family until it was dismantled. The Museum acquired the woodwork in 1925. The heavy oak framework (notable for its chamfered, or beveled, edges), pine sheathing (or wall boards), and large fireplace are characteristic of houses of its day.
Acquired by the MFA October 1925 as part of Manning House and Brown Pearl Hall purchase for $5,334.16.
John Lowell Gardner Fund