Herter Brothers (American, 1865–1905)
Object Place, New York City, New York
133.35 x 184.78 x 38.42 cm (52 1/2 x 72 3/4 x 15 1/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Maple, bird's-eye maple, oak or chestnut, stamped and gilt paper, with gilding, inlay, and carved decoration; original brass pulls and key
Robert P. and Carol T. Henderson Gallery (Gallery 228)
Large rectangular cabinet supported on four short front legs terminating in animal-paw feet and four straight rear legs; main body of cabinet contains an arched niche at each side, with a small drawer above and below, flanking a central door with inlaid Asian motifs, including irises, flowers, reeds, dragonflies, and a painted butterfly, and with a bird's-eye maple panel at top; carved and pierced panel below cupboard; lower section with a flat, slightly projecting top with molded edge; upper section includes a large box at center decorated at front with carved and gilt columns; splash board has rounded ends and, along with the entire back, is covered with stamped gilt paper with painted/stenciled rosettes; brass mounts, pulls, and key.
Signed in pencil on back "N. 908, Harriman Esq. "
Stamped "HERTER BROS" twice on back.
Probably owned originally by Harriman family, possibly Edward Henry Harriman (1848-1909) of the railroad industry; purchased from Margot Johnson, Inc., a New York City dealer, by the Museum in 2000 (Accession Date: January 26, 2000)
Museum purchase with funds donated anonymously and the Frank B. Bemis Fund