Cabinet

about 1873–75
Nelson Gustafson (active 1873–1875), Mounts marked by P. E. Guerin (founded in 1857)


Object Place: New York, New York

Dimensions

Overall: 143.5 x 179.1 x 41.9 cm (56 1/2 x 70 1/2 x 16 1/2 in.)

Accession Number

1981.400

Medium or Technique

Mahogany, rosewood, exotic woods, porcelain and bronze plaques

On View

Jan and Warren Adelson Gallery (Gallery 221)

Collections

Americas

Classifications

Case furniture and boxes

This piece embodies the idea that “more is more.” Designed to convey their owners’ wealth and taste, such cabinets were used to display equally sumptuous works of art, such as elaborate clocks or vases. All of New York’s leading cabinetmakers made similar pieces, which were called “French cabinets,” as they were based (loosely) on French courtly styles of the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. This cabinet integrates–among other elements–classically inspired columns, Italian Renaissance-style marquetry panels and console brackets, and a French porcelain plaque with a French-inspired metal surround.

Signed

"Aylward" signed in pencil on ormolu around door plaque.

Markings

1. Stamped "N. GUSTAFSSON" on top of ebonized pilasters, bottom rail of central door, bottom rail of left and right front panels, back of stretcher of base, back board.

2. Stamped "P.E.G." on ormolu around the bronze relief plaque in upper section and on ormolu around the ceramic plaque on the door.

Provenance

Museum purchase from Carl L. Crossman (Danvers, Mass.), 1981 (Accession Date: November 18, 1981)

Credit Line

Edwin E. Jack Fund