Overall: 225.5 x 96.2 x 79.5 cm (88 3/4 x 37 7/8 x 31 5/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Oak, nickel-plated brass, veneers of satinwood, ivory, ebony, abalone
Not On View
Satinwood veneer, ebony, mahogany, holly, holly dyed green, rosewood, ivory and abalone over oak and limewood. Nickel-plated cast brass door mounts, faceted green glass, cast brass interior drawer mounts. Upright rectangular ca
Huber was one of seven architects and designers invited to work and live in Darmstadt, Germany, at an artists’ colony established in 1899. The Darmstadt colony represents an important phase in early twentieth-century European design, as its work bridges the gap between the ideals of the Arts and Crafts Movement in England and the concepts of industrial design as promoted in Germany. The stylized floral motifs of the doors and the mounts on this cabinet reflect the still-influential Art Nouveau style.
By 1992, with Historical Design Collection, Inc., New York, NY; 1992, sold by Historical Design Collection and bought by the MFA by exchange through the bequest of the Estate of Mrs. Gertrude T. Taft, Gift of Mrs.Frederick T. Bradbury, Gift of Mr. S. Paul Boochever. (Accession Date: April 22, 1992)
Bequest of the Estate of Mrs. Gertrude T. Taft, Gift of Mrs. Frederick T. Bradbury, Gift of Mr. S. Paul Boochever, by exchange