Mark of Philip Cornman (English, died in 1822 English), Made for Rundell, Bridge & Rundell (English, 1797–1843), Designed by Charles Heathcote Tatham (English, 1772–1842 English)
Height: 46.4 cm (18 1/4 in.); Width: 58.4 cm (23 in.)
Medium or Technique
Alan and Simone Hartman Galleries (Gallery 241)
The tri-form pedestal base rests on voluted water leaves and supports three winged Greco-Egyptian sphinxes modeled in the round. From the backs of the sphinxes rises the central platform, which is applied on the three incurved faces with panels chased with classical scenes, and from which rises a truncated column of palm leaves, supporting a central dish ornamented with classical anthemia and egg-and-dart moldings. Three tri-part foliate scroll branches spring from the palm trunk, the lower part terminating in a Bacchic mask and the other two supporting two-light candle branches. The round, shallow dish is engraved at center with the arms of Kirkcaldy quartering Kinnaird and another, impaling Fitzgerald, for Charles, 8th Baron Kinnaird (1780-1826) and his wife, Lady Olivia-Letitia-Catherine Fitzgerald (d. 1858), the daughter of 2nd Duke of Leinster, whom he married in 1806.
Inscribed on underside of bowl: RUNDELL BRIDGE & RUNDELL AURIFICES REGIS FECERUNT. Engraved on inside of bowl with the arms of Kirkcaldy quartering Kinnaird and another, impaling Fitzgerald, for Charles, 8th Baron Kinnaird (1780-1826) and his wife Lady Olivia Letitia Catherine Fitzgerald (d. 1858).
Marked fully on underside of bowl: date letter "L"; lion passant; leopard's head crowned; maker's mark "PC" for Philip Cornman.
About 1806-1807, Charles, 8th Baron Kinnaird (b. 1780 - d. 1826) and his wife, Olivia Letitia Catherine FitzGerald (b. 1787 - d. 1858), London [see note 1]. October 17, 1968 Anonymous sale, Sotheby's London, lot 90, to F. Partridge for £3600. June 12, 2006 Anonymous sale, Sotheby's London, lot 89 for £102,000. 2007, Koopman Rare Art, London; 2007, sold by Koopman to the MFA. (Accession Date: June 27, 2007) NOTES:  The candelabrum is engraved with arms which have been identified as those of the Baron Kinnaird and his wife, married on May 8, 1806.
Museum purchase with funds donated anonymously