Caster (one of a pair)
Object Place: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Buhler, 1972, No. 55
Overall (h x dia of foot): 12.7 x 4 cm (5 x 1 9/16 in.); Weight: 4 oz., 8 1/2 dwt.
Medium or Technique
Burton A. Cleaves Gallery (Gallery LG27)
Slightly curving sides on applied moulded baseband with applied strip below bezel. Domed cover with applied moulding at edge to which is applied moulded band on which are lugs for “bayonet” fastening. Turned ball finial on moulded disc on top. Sides of cover engraved and punched in simple design.
IC crowned coney below in shield on side and bottom
According to C. Louise Avery, this caster and its mate (42.234) formerly belonged to the Gibb family. 1928, lent by Philip Spalding; 1940, transfered to Mrs. Spalding; 1942, gift of Mrs. Spalding and children to MFA. (Accession date: April 9 and 16, 1942)
The Philip Leffingwell Spalding Collection—Given in his memory by Katharine Ames Spalding and Philip Spalding, Oakes Ames Spalding, and Hobart Ames Spalding