Cathedra (bishop's chair)
Object Place: Mexico
Overall: 111.8 x 58.4 x 94cm (44 x 23 x 37in.)
Medium or Technique
Spanish cedar (cedrela odorata, by microanalysis); modern leather upholstery with twenty-five original brass nails and additional replacements
Not On View
Large, heavily carved armchair with cabriole legs featuring grotesque masks on all four knees and terminating in claw-and-ball feet; elaborately carved front seat rail with inverted shell between two foliate scrolls emanating from masks; carved rear stiles terminate in reverse scroll; arms bear foliate carving on outer side and terminate in scrolled hand-holds; crest rail formed of compound curves; carved sun surrounded by foliate scrolls on outside of back; modern leather upholstery secured with twenty-five (out of seventy) original brass nails.
About 1906, probably sold by the Sonora News Company, Mexico City; 1980, purchased from William J. Carpenter Wholesale Furniture and Antiques, Lynn and Chelsea, Massachusetts, by the MFA.
Gift of Landon T. Clay and Harriet Otis Cruft Fund