Caudle Cup, miniature
Object Place: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Buhler, 1972, No. 5
Overall: 5.3 x 6 cm (2 1/8 x 2 3/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Manning House (Gallery LG36)
The bulbous body has a very slightly flaring rim with curved sides ornamented with four panels of flat chasing between a row of widely spaced dots above and more tightly spaced ones below. A third line of dots above the slightly stepped base is somewhat obliterated by repairs but can be seen distinclty from inside. Center point on bottom. Pairs of chased lines beneath the handles, centered front and back, divide the sides into panels for very broad tulip forms with leaves spreading from the base of the stem, against a pebbled background. The handles, their surfaces curved and insides flat, are in scroll form with freestanding tips. Their joinings have been repaired and are thickly resoldered, but X-ray spectrographs show them to be contemporary with the body. Flower stems and base repaired.
Engraved on bottom T/WD around center point. Added on neck the Wentworth arms and 1891 over Dorothea.
RS/IH in punches near handle on neck
Early history unknown; purchased by William H. Wentworth and engraved about 1891 for his daughter Mrs. James Stuart Smith (Dorothea Wentworth); 1920, lent by Mrs. Smith to MFA; 1958, gift of Mrs. Smith to MFA. (Accession date: Dec 11, 1958)
Gift of Mrs. James Stuart Smith in memory of William H. Wentworth