Object Place: Europe, England
Overall: 94.6 x 59.1 x 48.9 cm (37 1/4 x 23 1/4 x 19 1/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Mahogany and beech. Vase-shaped splat richly carved and pierced; acanthus leaf carving on scrolled crest rail; stop fluting on the stiles. Cabriole legs with carved leaves and C-scrolls on the knees ending in claw and ball feet. Front and sides of modern leather seat cover have two rows of brack tacks.
"T. Hooper" stamped on back seat rail and "T. Hoo" on framing piece.
 A notation on the accession card for the chair indicates that the chair once belonged to William B. Phillips (1750-1827), Lieutenant-Governor of Massachusetts from 1812-1823. This information may have come from the donor of the chair, Mrs. Crane, as she wrote to then-director George Harold Edgell in 1936 that the chair was formerly owned by Lieutenant-Governor Phillips.
 The chair is marked on the seat rail and framing piece with ‘T. Hooper’. Thomas Hooper (1779-1868) is a distant relative of the donor of the chair. It is thought that the chair passed to Mrs. Crane through her aunt Sarah Emery Jose (Mrs. Samuel Thompson Hooper) (1822-1914).
Gift of Mrs. Joshua Crane Sr. in memory of her husband