Chandelier

A glass chandelier with eight plain arms and a baluster-form stem with hand-cut facets. The eight arms are arranged on two levels and have separate lightly cut drip pans. The stem piece features a central globe cut all over with shallow facets and with baluster-shaped pieces above and below, all threaded on an iron rod. The arms are set into the original receiver plate, below which is a receiver bowl and glass finial.

Provenance

Almost certainly in English private collections since the date of manufacture. Sold from a private collection, England, to Mallet & Son Antiques, Ltd., London, UK; 2003, sold by Mallet & Son to the MFA. (Accession date: February 26, 2003)

Credit Line

Museum purchase with funds donated anonymously and by exchange from the Gift of Mrs. Frederick T. Bradbury, Harriet J. Bradbury Fund, Gift of Mrs. Albertine W. F. Valentine, residuary legatee under the will of Hervey E. Wetzel, Gift of Paul and Helen Bernat, Gift of Edward Jackson Holmes, Gift of Mrs. Edward Jackson Holmes, Gift of Eben Howard Gay, Given in memory of Dr. William Hewson Baltzell by his wife Alice Cheney Baltzell, Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Edward F. MacNichol, and Gift of Mr. and Mrs. W. de Forest Thomson

Chandelier

  • English, about 1730
Place of Origin
England
Dimensions
Overall: 96.5 x 96.5 cm (38 x 38 in.) Mount (3/16" thick stainless steel chain ): 274.4 x 0.5 cm (9 ft., 3/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Glass, iron rod, silvered bronze
Classification
Glass
Accession Number
2003.64
Not on view

Tags