Charger

English or pssibly Scottish
17th century
about 1650–70


Object Place: Europe, England

Dimensions

Other (Overall): 54.6cm (21 1/2in.)

Accession Number

47.1559

Medium or Technique

Pewter

On View

Brown-Pearl Hall (Gallery LG35)

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Pewter

Large circular dish with plain, broad rim and molded edge on back. Plain wide rim, molded edge on back.

Inscription

Marked "W I C" on rim (for William and Jane Collier)

Markings

stamped touchmark: crowned Tudor rose in shield shape, with initials "IW" [unidentified].

Provenance

Until the late nineteenth century, descendants of Judith and Isaac Barker, "Old Garrison," Pembroke, MA [see note 1]. By 1908, with Dr. George W. Baker, Marshfield, MA [see note 2]. Presumably by 1911, Mrs. Andrew W. Laurie (Harriet Westcott Lawrie), Boston [see note 3]; 1947, bequest of Mrs. Andrew W. Laurie. (Accession Date: December 11, 1947)

NOTES:
[1] according to a letter of March 13, 1911, from Mrs. Andrew W. Laurie, in MFA curatorial file, this piece, which was believed to have been made in Scotland or England in the seventeenth-century, was probably bought over to America by William Collier and his wife Jane in the 1600s, before it was eventually passed on to their daughter, Mary and her husband Thomas Prince, Governor of Plymouth, and then to their daughter, Judith and her husband, Isaac Barker. It would remain in the hands of Barker offspring in the family residence in Pembroke until the late nineteenth century when the house was "literally pulled to pieces" by relic seekers. For more detail, see "New England Begins: The Seventeenth Century," The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1982, no. 262, pp. 270-271. [2] in a letter of July 6, 1894, addressed to a member of the Barker family, in MFA curatorial file, Dr. George Baker explains that the "Barker Platter" had been purchased by Peleg Baker fifteen years earlier, and was now in his possession. In this letter, Dr. Baker offers to sell it back to the Barker family. [3] see letter of March 13, 1911 cited above. Mrs. Laurie first lent the piece to the MFA in 1931 (loan number: 139.31).

Credit Line

Bequest of Mrs. Andrew W. Lawrie