Object Place: Marblehead, Massachusetts, United States
Block: 213.9 x 106.7 x 62.2 cm (84 3/16 x 42 x 24 1/2 in.)
Medium or Technique
Mahogany, white pine
Amelia Peabody Gallery (Gallery 137)
Carved into the top of the lower section:
"E M 1780" (the two circles of the 8 and the 0 are made by a compass)
"E M" carved a second time in other area of top of lower section.
Inscribed in ink on top of the lower section (opposite orientation than the carved initials and date):
"Feb 26th 1780 / Martin & __________ / Que est Fecit hic"
Also inscribed in ink on top of lower section (hard to read from image):
Chalk inscription on back of top section: hard to descipher-- see images in folder.
Made for Content Hood (1730-1805) of Nahant (Lynn) who became Mrs. Walter Phillips. Inherited into the female line by Abigail Phillips (Mrs. John Dow of Kensington, N.H.), Abigail A. Dow (Mrs. Jonathan Fitts), Benjamin Abbott Fitts, and in 1899 by his nieces, the donors, of Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
Gift of Miss Josie F. Prescott and Miss Mary E. Prescott