Henry Haddock (1811–1892)
Object Place: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
6.5 x 12.4 x 9.5 cm (2 9/16 x 4 7/8 x 3 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
The low raised vessel sits on a molded ring foot and features an applied rounded rim. A cast acanthus-leaf and scrolled handle is applied to the rim and side.
This demure child’s cup is undecorated except for its highly polished finish, graceful form, and scrolled handle. The round, wide bowl resembles that of a porringer and may have served as both cup and bowl for its young owner.
Henry Haddock was born in Haverhill, Massachusetts, and as a boy moved with his family to Boston, where he may have apprenticed with silversmith Moses Morse.1 Haddock first appeared in the Boston directory of 1838, listed in partnership with silversmith Henry Andrews (w. 1830 – 1847) on Hawley, near Milk Street. By 1840 Haddock & Andrews, silversmiths, were listed at 7 Williams Court, set amid Boston’s best retail establishments. After six years, the firm relocated to nearby Court Street. In 1848 Andrews disappeared from the listings, but Haddock prospered on his own as a major supplier of silver hollowware to Bigelow Brothers & Kennard, one of Boston’s large prominent purveyors of “Watches, Jewelry and Plate.” According to the retailer’s account books, from 1848 to 1852 Haddock supplied close to seven hundred teapots, creamers, sugar bowls, coffeepots, cups, goblets, salvers, toast racks, mustard pots, vases, and other forms. A “plain cup” of similar weight to this child’s cup (4 oz. 3 dwt) was entered in the accounts on March 30, 1849. Haddock’s wholesale charge for the cup was $6.96, $4.46 for materials and $2.50 for labor.
In addition to plain wares, Haddock accommodated the burgeoning market for Rococo-revival-style silverware, which may have been termed “Antique” in his production book. Haddock produced wares in the following patterns: Octagonal, Chinese, Chased, Fluted, Claw, Parian, and Egg and Grape, among others.
No pieces have surfaced bearing marks by both Haddock and Bigelow Brothers & Kennard, suggesting that Haddock refrained from marking the wares he wholesaled, which presumably received the retailer’s mark. As in the case of this child’s cup, he did sometimes mark his hollowware, perhaps to retail in his own shop.
From 1859 until 1868, when he retired from silversmithing, Haddock was the senior member of Haddock, Lincoln (Albert L.) and Foss (Charles M.), jewelers, of 65 Washington Street. The new partnership may have been formed to strengthen the firm’s financial base as well as to offer a broader selection of wares. During this period, numerous New England retailers augmented their stock with solid silver goods purchased wholesale from Gorham & Company in Providence, Rhode Island. By 1863, apparently thriving and with a spotless credit record, Haddock, Lincoln & Foss had expanded to include a factory at 13 Court Square, though the nature of its production is unknown. The R. G. Dun and Company credit ledgers pronounced the firm “good for all engagements.”
This text has been adapted from “Silver of the Americas, 1600-2000,” edited by Jeannine Falino and Gerald W.R. Ward, published in 2008 by the MFA. Complete references can be found in that publication.
"Susan Ward" is engraved in upper and lowercase script under the rim of the bowl opposite the handle.
Stamped "HADDOCK" twice on the bottom in rectangles, the second stamp covers all but the first letter of the first, so that it appears to read "H Haddock," stamped "BOSTON" in a rectangle; "Coin" is struck incuse in italic-style upper and lowercase letters near the stamped marks.
Ada Mark * F4719
Susan Nahum Ward (b. 1845) and Lyman Jabez Clark (b. 1835), m. 1866; to their children Mabel Gurney Clark (b. 1870) and Francis Lyman Clark (b. 1877), the donors.
Bearing the mark Haddock used during the decade he worked alone, 1848-1859, this cup was probably presented to Susan Ward as a young child.
Gift of Mabel Gurney Clark and F. Lyman Clark in memory of their mother, Susan Ward Clark