Cither viol

Perry & Wilkinson (Irish, active 1787–about 1839)

Object Place: Dublin, Ireland


Length 71.1 cm, width 23 cm (Length 28 in., width 9 1/16 in.)

Accession Number


Medium or Technique

Maple, spruce, ivory, brass

On View

Musical Instrument Gallery (Gallery 103D)


Europe, Musical Instruments



Body of a modified viol type. Back of one piece of maple, highly arched, with ink line purfling. Ribs of maple. Belly of pine, highly arched, with ink-line purfling and sound-holes of the flame type. Both back and belly have overhanging edges. Neck and peg-box of maple, ending in a cittern-like head with a square end inlaid with pearl and ebony. Finger-board of stained walnut, inlaid with ivory lining. Tail-piece of black stained boxwood, with ivory inlay; affixed to the ivory tail-pin by U-shaped bent wire fastened to a silver reinforcing piece, the ends of the wire formed into rivet heads. Five double strings, four lower ones of spun silk, six higher ones of steel wire held in the tail-piece by small ivory buttons. Movable bridge with ebony top, ivory nut. No regular peg-box, instead a very solidly constructed machine head with the worm-wheels concealed inside. Internal construction of the violin type.


Printed label: Made by / THOs. PERRY and Wm. WILKINSON / Musical Instrument Makers / No. 6, Angelsea Street / No. [handwritten: 1954] DUBLIN 17 [handwritten: 94]; stamped on back: No 1954 / PERRY / DUBLIN


Francis W. Galpin (1858-1945), Hatfield Regis, England; 1916, sold by Francis W. Galpin to William Lindsey (1858-1922), Boston, Massachusetts; 1916, gift of William Lindsey, in memory of his daughter, Leslie Lindsey Mason, to the MFA. (Accession Date: October 5, 1916)

Credit Line

Leslie Lindsey Mason Collection