Object Place: Europe, London, England
Overall: 248.9 x 116 cm (98 x 45 11/16 in.) Other (Storage width; including all): 63.4 cm (24 15/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Mahogany, mahogany veneered on oak, deal (pine), brass, glass, with later gilding
Not On View
Mahogany cabinet on bombe-shaped base. Upper section pedimented, peaked in center. Carved moldings in burnished gilding outline pediment and lower bands. Two mirrored doors with carved and gilded moldings outlining each glass and shaped at corners enclose ten drawers, each with large brass handles. Lower case with four graduated drawers rests on large ogee bracket feet. Four drawers have large brass handles. Gilt carved moldings outline front edges.
"BOND" stamped on inside of proper right carcass behind fourth drawer from top.
According to family tradition, originally owned by Charles Apthorp (1698-1758), Boston; 1758, by inheritance to his widow, Grizzelle Eastwicke Apthorp (1709-1796); 1796, by inheritance to her son James Apthorp (1731-1799), Boston; 1799, by inheritance to his widow, Sarah Wentworth Apthorp (1735-1820); 1820, by inheritance to her daughter Sarah Wentworth Apthorp Morton (Mrs. Perez Morton) (1759-1846); by inheritance to her granddaughter, Griselda Eastwicke Cunningham Clinch (Mrs. Joseph Hart Clinch, Sr.) (1810-1873); 1873, by inheritance to her daughter Sarah Apthorp Cunningham Clinch Bond (Mrs. Richard Fifield Bond) (1835-1914); 1914, by inheritance to her son William Cranch Bond (1860-about 1946); about 1946, by inheritance to her daughter Miriam Apthorp (Bond) Bantz (1901-1965), Old Lyme, CT; 1965, to her husband, Melvern G. Bantz (1901-1966), Old Lyme, CT; 1968, sold, Parke-Bernet Galleries, New York; Albert Sack (1915-2011), New York.
Gift of Albert Sack