Marked by William Grundy (first mark entered 1743)
Object Place: Europe, London, England
H.40.8 cm x W. 25.9 cm x D. 16 cm (16 1/16 x 10 3/16 x 6 5/16 in.); Diameter of base: 14.1 cm (5 9/16 in.); Weight: 2,089.4 gm (67 oz 4 dwt)
Medium or Technique
Alan and Simone Hartman Galleries (Gallery 241)
The inverted pear-shaped body rests on a domed, spreading circular foot. The foot is raised and chased, with a heavy square wire applied to the rim. The body of the vessel is raised from sheet and chased with spiraling flutes, interlocking C-scrolls, and trailing vines and flowers. The curved spout is cast with scrolling foliage, flowers, fluting and an acanthus leaf at the tip. The double-scroll wooden handle is mounted on cast scrolled sockets. The stepped, domed cover is topped with a baluster-form finial of flaring scrolls and beadwork. It is raised and chased and fitted with a bezel.
Engraved in a cartouche on side, IML interlaced cipher.
On underside of base, maker's mark WG (Grimwade 3147) (repeated on bezel of cover); date letter M; leopard's head crowned; lion passant.
According to tradition, Harrison Gray Otis (1765-1836), by descent to his daughter Sophia (1798-1874) who married Andrew Ritchie (d. 1862), to their daughter Elizabeth (1830-1896) who married Dr. Edouard Duplessis Beylard, to their son Edouard Duplessis Beylard (1859-1925), Gift of E. Duplessis Beylard to the MFA. (Accession Date: September 4, 1930)
Gift of E. Duplessis Beylard, great-grandson of the originalowner, H. G. Otis