Overall: 96.5 x 132.7 x 68.6 cm (38 x 52 1/4 x 27 in.)
Medium or Technique
Tin-glazed earthenware, enamels
Angelica Lloyd Russell Gallery (Gallery 142)
Table whose shaped top consists of two halves supported by four legs in the form of musicians playing horns and trumpets.
This table is the only known example of ceramic furniture produced by the royal factory at Alcora, Spain’s leading producer of fine ceramics in the 18th century. Under the patronage of the 10th Count of Aranda, it was probably conceived as part of a “porcelain room,” perhaps to rival the one recently commissioned by King Carlos III for the royal palace at Aranjuez. Factory archives mention such a table in combination with large wall plaques, small figures on brackets, and a ceramic chandelier. When combined, the impact of the richly modeled forms and painted decoration must have been spectacular-a fitting tribute to Spain’s ceramic ambitions as well as the Count’s.
About 1955, with Maurice de Rothschild (b. 1881 - d. 1957), Geneva; sold by or through Rothschild to Armand de Wittekind (d. 1970), Geneva; by inheritance to his widow, Charlotte de Wittekind, Geneva and Bas Monthoux, France; about 1978, sold by Mrs. Wittekind to Pierre Vandermeersch, Paris; about 1978, sold by Vandermeersch to a private collector ("B.L."), Paris; 2008, sold from this private ("B.L.") collection to Michel Vandermeersch and Alain Moatti for Voltaire Antiques, Paris; 2010, sold by Voltaire Antiques to the MFA. (Accession Date: September 22, 2010)
Henry H. and Zoe Oliver Sherman Fund