Cruet Stand

English (London)
1745–46
Marked by Samuel Wood (about 1704–1794)


Object Place: Europe, London, England

Dimensions

H. 20.6 cm (8 1/8 in.); W. 17.1 cm (6 3/4 in.); D. 17 cm (6 11/16 in); Weight: 1,111.3 gm (35 oz 15 dwt)

Accession Number

38.1651.1-6a-b

Medium or Technique

Silver, glass

Not On View

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Silver

The cruet set consists of a large caster, a pair of smaller casters, and two faceted glass bottles that rest in cinquefoil frame. The base of the frame is formed from sheet, with wire circles applied to the underside of the base outlining the compartment for each caster. It rests on four cast scrolled legs with shell feet. A framed of five molded rings above contains the bottles, with two smaller rings to hold the stoppers. At the front, attached to the base and the open frame, is a cartouche, formed from cut sheet and engraved with foliage, scrolls and the arms of Faneuil. A tall cast handle with baluster stem and scrolled handle is threaded through the center of the frame. The caster are pear-shaped, resting on a spreading foot. Each is form from two pieces of sheet, the lower section raised, the upper section seamed, and the join covered with a molding wire. The removable covers are raised, pierced and engraved, with an interior bezel formed of sheet. The covers are surmounted by cast balusters. The faceted cut-glass cruet bottles have silver domed covers. The casters and the base have been extensively repaired and polished, and the shield bearing the arms appears to be a restoration.

Inscription

ARMORIALS: engraved in cartouche on stand, and in all three casters, the arms of Faneuil. engraved on the silver cruet caps, the crest of Faneuil.

Markings

On underside of stand and on underside of each caster, maker's mark SW (repeated on handle of stand, bezel of large caster top, and bezel of one small caster cover);date letter k; lion passant; (repeated on handle of stand, bezel of large caster top, and bezel of one small caster cover) leopard's head crowned;

Provenance

According to tradition, owned by Benjamin Faneuil (1702-1785), by descent to his great-grandson Dr. George Bethune who sold it at a family sale (about 1890), purchased by Dr. Faneuil D. Weisse, by descent to his son, Dr. Faneuil S. Weisse, Gift of Faneuil Suydam Weisse and Henry Bethune Weisse to the MFA. (Accession Date: November 10, 1938)

Credit Line

Gift of Faneuil Suydam Weisse and Henry Bethune Weiss, descendants of Benjamin Faneuil and his wife Mary Cutler