Cup and Saucer

gobelet litron et soucoupe

French
about 1780–85
Made at Sèvres Manufactory (France), Decorated by Etienne-Henri Le Guay aîné, père (French, 1719-1799, active at Sèvres 1742–43, 1748–49, 1751–96)


Dimensions

Overall (cup): 6.8 x 9.4 x 6.9 cm (2 11/16 x 3 11/16 x 2 11/16 in.) Overall (saucer): 3.5 x 13.9 cm (1 3/8 x 5 1/2 in.)

Accession Number

65.1808a-b

Medium or Technique

Soft-paste porcelain decorated in polychrome and jeweled enamels and gold

Not On View

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Porcelain

Royal blue ground, cup cylindrical with oval reserve with biblical scene- Prophet with seated shepardess, flanked by interlaced festoons of pearls, gold and coral baguette jewels, oval medallions enclosing branches. Saucer decorated in like manner with trophies and two doves with wording “A La Plus Belle”. Jewel imperfections on cup-one on festoon near handle, six on base ring, three on border tight of oval painting. Saucer- thirteen imperfections in festoons, twelve missing from circle bordering center painting.

Markings

Cup: interlaced Ls with the gilder's mark LG for Etienne-Henry Le Guay aîné, père (active at Sèvres, 1742-43; 1748-49; 1751-96) below, both in gold; incised marks partially obscured by old label. Saucer: painted marks as above; incised marks largely obscured by old label.

Provenance

By 1905, Édouard Chappey, Paris. 1944, Duveen Brothers, New York; August 24, 1944, sold by Duveen to Forsyth Wickes (b. 1876 - d. 1964), New York and Newport, RI; 1965, bequest of Forsyth Wickes to the MFA. (Accession Date: December 24, 1965)

Credit Line

Bequest of Forsyth Wickes—The Forsyth Wickes Collection