Cup skyphos

Classical Period
Late 5th century B.C.


D: 0.107 m., H: 0.05 m.

Accession Number


Medium or Technique

Ceramic, Black Glaze

Not On View


The Ancient World



In shape like a skyphos, but much shallower. Thin walls; ring base; horizontal loop handles. Covered with black glaze inside and out. On bottom, black concentric circles on red ground. Intact.


According to the donor the skyphos was probably acquired about 1837-1840 by Rev. Charles Lowell on a trip to Europe; by dates unknown: inherited by James Russell Lowell, followed by Mabel Lowell Burnett and finally by Dr. Francis L. Burnett (who loaned the skyphos to MFA, January 20, 1917 as 33.17); by date unknown, probably in 1966: inherited by Helen Read Burnett from her husband, Dr. Francis L. Burnett; October 13, 1985: inherited by Frances Lowell Burnett from Helen Read Burnett; gift of Frances Lowell Burnett to MFA, November 20, 1991

Credit Line

Gift of Frances Lowell Burnett