Object Place: England
Height 32.4 cm, width 18.4 cm, depth 12.8 cm (Height 12 3/4 in., width 7 1/4 in., depth 5 1/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Of wrought iron. Rectangular cross-section wtih rounded corners; a little smaller at the top. Large, square loop-shaped handle with a wide integral handgrip, grooved in the upper side; the handle continued within the loop through the holes in the upper wall, forming a long loop with the stem of the tongue attached to it. Welded, spherical clapper, diameter 60 mm. at the lower end of the tongue, the stem projecting 35 mm beyond it. Made of one piece of hammered sheet iron about 2 mm. thick, bent and shaped by hammering, overlapped, riveted, and welded. It was formerly bronzed.
Before 1916, apparently used and found at Chalfont St. Giles, Buckinghamshire, England; by 1916, acquired by Francis W. Galpin (1858-1945), Hatfield Regis, England; 1916, sold by Galpin to William Lindsey (1858-1922), Boston, Massachusetts; 1916, gift of William Lindsey, in memory of his daughter, Leslie Lindsey Mason, to the MFA. (Accession Date: October 5, 1916)
Leslie Lindsey Mason Collection