Overall: 1.6 x 0.9 cm (5/8 x 3/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
This djed pillar amulet has a ring at the top and is carved on both sides. It is made of opaque carnelian..
The djed pillar symbolized the backbone of the funerary god Osiris and was the hieroglyphic symbol for stability.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way