Double-belled euphonium

1921
C. G. Conn Ltd. (American, active early 20th century)


Object Place: Elkhart, Indiana, United States

Dimensions

Length 76.2 cm (30 in.)

Accession Number

2002.61

Medium or Technique

Gold-plated brass

Not On View

Collections

Americas, Musical Instruments

Classifications

Aerophones

Body of gold-plated brass with two removable, forward-pointing bells. Custom, free-hand engraving on larger bell, consisting of American eagle, horned mythological figure, stag, dogwood flowers, acanthus leaves, and scrolling patterns. Five valves with pearl-covered touchpieces. Period mouthpiece of nickel-plated brass. Original hard-shell case.

Inscription

Engraved on bell: MADE BY / C. G. Conn Ltd. / ELKHART - IND. / U. S. A.; stamped on second valve: 187,574

Provenance

1921, sold by Frank McCoy, band director at Iowa Wesleyan College, Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, to Paul S. Minear; 2002, partial gift of Minear to the MFA. (Accession Date: March 20, 2002)

Credit Line

Museum purchase with funds donated by the Foster Charitable Fund and Gift of Paiste AG Cymbals Gongs, Bequest of Gertrude T. Taft, Gift of Lura S. Teeter, and Gift of Mrs. Robert H. Cook, by exchange, and partial gift of Paul S. Minear