Eglomisé Plaque with Saint Luke
Italian (Venice ?)
last third of 13th century
Object Place: Europe, Venice (?), Italy
3.9 x 3.6 cm (1 9/16 x 1 7/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
One of two clear glass plaques decorated on the back with half-length figures in three-quarter view. The figures, borders, and roundels containing inscriptions are gold. Blue point is used for the background. Luke, inscribed in roundels on either side O OVKAC turns to the right. Brown paint has been placed over the gold to color the lines of the face, short hair, and beard. His tunic is modeled with green lines; the pallium has red lines.
By 1938, sold by Robert Forrer (b. 1866 - d. 1947), Strasbourg, to Georg Swarzenski (b. 1876 - d. 1957), Frankfurt and Boston [see note]; by descent to an anonymous donor; 1974, anonymous gift to the MFA. (Accession Date: September 11, 1974)
NOTE: Probably purchased before Swarzenski immigrated to the United States in 1938. He first lent this plaque to the MFA in 1939.
Anonymous gift in memory of Georg Swarzenski