Feline (?) effigy head pendant
Place of Origin: Sitio Conte area, Coclé Province, Panama
2.4 x 2 cm (15/16 x 13/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Cast gold feline(?) effigy head pendant. Two suspension rings are attached to the back of the zoomorph’s neck. Its body was represented by a stone shaft-like form, now lost.
Excavated in the Sitio Conte area, Coclé Province, Panama, after 1930; by 1950 in a Private Collection, San José, Costa Rica; to Paul Pasher, New York, between 1950 and 1955 and kept with Manuel Miranda Pinto, San Salvador, El Salvador; brought to the United States, April 1970 and sold to the Edward H. Merrin Gallery, New York; to the MFA, December 1971, purchase.
Gift of Landon T. Clay