Owain Tudur (Welsh, active 19th century)
Object Place: Dolgelly, Wales
Length 57.5 cm, width 24 cm (Length 22 5/8 in., width 9 7/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Flat, shallow body with the yoke supporting the neck. Sound-box, yoke, peg-board, and neck carved out of one solid piece of maple. Sound-board of spruce with two circular sound-holes. Finger-board of maple, stained dark brown. Tail-piece with a slant top, hooked by a copper wire to the tail-pin. Bridge of peculiar construction; the long leg of the bridge is inserted into the right-hand sound-hole and touches the back. Six gut strings: two open string located outside the finger-board and four stopped. A nut at the top of the finger-board for the stopped strings. Anterior tuning pegs of steel, plain pattern, with a flattened front end, no holes for strings. The occipital fastening for the tuning end of the strings; clearances for strings cut out in the peg-board to eliminate the sharp angles. Inside construction: entire block cut from the solid; two cross-bars glued to the belly fitting into notches cut in the sound-box walls. Dark, greenish-brown varnish.
Manuscript label: Owain Tudur. Dolgellau. / in gwneuthurwr y / Crwth hwn.
Francis W. Galpin (1858-1945), Hatfield Regis, England; 1916, sold by Francis W. Galpin to William Lindsey (1858-1922), Boston, Massachusetts; 1916, gift of William Lindsey, in memory of his daughter, Leslie Lindsey Mason, to the MFA. (Accession Date: October 5, 1916)
Leslie Lindsey Mason Collection