Figurine of Eros
Roman Imperial Period
30 B.C.–A.D 364
Findspot: Egypt, Naukratis
Height x width x depth: 4.1 x 3 x 2 cm (1 5/8 x 1 3/16 x 13/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Blue-green glaze; modeled in full relief; lower part and right wing missing. He wears a mantle behind held on right hip by his hand; a torch in left hand resting against shoulder; left wing spread.
From Naukratis. 1885: excavated by William Matthew Flinders Petrie for the Egypt Exploration Fund, assigned to the EEF by the Egyptian government; October 28, 1885: voted to the MFA at EEF general meeting; sent over August 1886.
(Accession Date: August 1, 1886)
Egypt Exploration Fund by subscription
Art of the Ancient Mediterranean World (Nagoya/BMFA exhibition catalogue, 1999), cat. #154