Figurine of four sheep
about 800–700 B.C.
Greek, Etruscan, & Roman Bronzes (MFA), no. 004; Sculpture in Stone and Bronze (MFA), p. 117 (additional published references).
Overall: 4.5 x 7 cm (1 3/4 x 2 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Bronze.The sheep are mounted side by side on a thin rectangular frame with one cross bar running between the two middle sheep. Behind the frame there is a T-shaped extension. Dark green patina with spots of light green corrosion.
By date unknown: with Elie Borowski, 84 Rheingasse, Basel, Switzerland; purchased by MFA from Elie Borowski, December 11, 1958, for $ 1,400.00
Samuel Putnam Avery Fund