Fire screen

Italian
dated 1540


Dimensions

Overall: 144.8 x 135.3 x 29.2 cm (57 x 53 1/4 x 11 1/2 in.)

Accession Number

14.728

Medium or Technique

Metal; iron

On View

Jan and Warren Adelson Gallery (Gallery 221)

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Metalwork

Two uprights, with cross piece above and below, ending in pot holders. Bases and cross pieces engraved with lines. A bracket hinged to center of upper one which is inscribed - “hoc opu [ [inscription] ] fecit Magister [ ] sius Labangha de Wiria AD 1540”

Provenance

By about 1906, Ridolfo Peruzzi de' Medici (b. 1883), Florence; April 23-May 1, 1914 (sale originally scheduled for April 16-24), Peruzzi de' Medici sale, Villino Volpi at the Piazza Torino, Florence, lot 267, sold, probably to Fernand Lair-Dubreuil (b. 1867 - d. 1931), Paris on behalf of John Templeman Coolidge (b. 1856 - d. 1945), Boston, for the MFA [see note]. (Accession Date: July 2, 1914)

NOTE: Notes in the MFA curatorial files state that the fire screen had been bought "of Mr. Lair Dubrenik, Paris," probably Fernand Lair-Dubreuil, an auctioneer of Paris. Notes elsewhere record that it had been "purchased of E. Volpi," a reference to Elia Volpi who held the 1914 sale. The MFA purchase price is recorded as $427.18.

Credit Line

Samuel Putnam Avery Fund