Fragment - closed hand

Egyptian
New Kingdom, Dynasty 20, reign of Ramesses III
1184–1153 B.C.


Findspot: Egypt, Tell-el-Yahudiyeh, Palace of Rameses III

Dimensions

Length: 5.6 cm (2 3/16 in.)

Accession Number

88.746

Medium or Technique

Travertine (Egyptian alabaster)

Not On View

Collections

Africa and Oceania, The Ancient World

Classifications

Sculpture

This sculpture fragment of a closed hand is made of opaque white alabaster with a fine even texture. The fingers are doubled over and the thumb is extended. There is an irregular fracture through the wrist. A small drilled hole between thumb and finger, for holding a scepter of some type. The underside is flat and smooth.

Provenance

From Tell-el-Yahudiyeh, Palace of Rameses III. 1888: excavated by William Matthew Flinders Petrie for the Egypt Exploration Fund, assigned to the EEF by the Egyptian government; presented to the MFA at EEF fifth annual general meeting; sent over Apr. 1888. (Accession date: April 1, 1888)

Credit Line

Egypt Exploration Fund by subscription