Fragment of a lappet from a mitre
Object Place: Germany
Height x width: 40 x 8 cm (15 3/4 x 3 1/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Linen, brocaded tablet woven
Not On View
Fragment of a lappet for a mitre. Narrow band, flaring slightly at one end; selvedges partially preserved. Brick-red warps and wefts form a ground resembling chain stitch. Gold-wrapped linen wefts define stylized patterns suggesting rows of alternating pyramids and trees, one large and four small eight-pointed stars and part of a bird. Gold almost entirely worn off; some linen wefts broken loose; frayed edges. Technique used for decoration of early medieval church vestments.
1946, Ugo Bardini (b. 1892 - d. 1965), Florence [see note 1]; March, 1946, sold by Bardini to Adolph Loewi, Los Angeles; November 6, 1946, sold by Loewi to Joseph Brummer (b. 1883 - d. 1947) for the Brummer Gallery, New York (stock no. N6690); May 13, 1949, posthumous Brummer sale, Parke-Bernet Galleries, New York, lot 530, probably sold to Di Segni (Ars Antiqua), New York; October, 1949, sold by Di Segni to Adolph Loewi, Los Angeles [see note 2]; 1950, sold by Loewi to the MFA for $275. (Accession Date: January 12, 1950)
 This is one of two lappets that were affixed to a mitre from Lucca, Italy. The mitre was sold by Bardini to Loewi in 1946, and remained intact until 1949, when the lappets were removed.  Di Segni sold the two lappets to Adolph Loewi, who sold one of them to the MFA.
John Wheelock Eliot Fund