Fragment of a Limestone Pedestal in the Shape of a Capital
about 500–490 B.C.
Greek, Etruscan, & Roman Bronzes (MFA), no. 039; Sculpture in Stone and Bronze (MFA), p. 119 (additional published references).
15 x 23.5 cm (5 7/8 x 9 1/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
This is part of a pedestal with widely projecting top and concave sides. In the top there is a bronze plinth which probably supported a statuette. There is an incised inscription: (add Greek) “Polylos dedicated it. Eupidas made it.”
By 1901: with E. P. Warren (according to Warren's records: Bought at Taranto: found at Taranto proper.); purchased by MFA from E. P. Warren, December 1901
Henry Lillie Pierce Fund