about A.D. 14–62
Findspot: Italy, Campania, near Pompeii, Villa of the Contrada Bottaro
Highlights: Classical Art (MFA), p. 132-133.
Height x width: 97 x 117 cm (38 3/16 x 46 1/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
The panel shows fantastic architecture on black ground. A tripod supporting projecting entablature is joined by a white, openwork panel decorated with lotus and palmette to reed on left, which upholds coffered ceiling. An elongated kylix stands on the entablature above tripod. A wading bird walks on openwork panel, and an eagle flies below. In the center hangs a drinking horn, and a winnowing basket with phallus wrapped in cloth stands on a reed at the top center. The fresco has been executed in the Third Style of Campanian wall painting.
1901/1902, excavated by Gennaro Matrone (d. 1927) in a room on the south side of the peristyle of the Contrada Bottaro Villa, about a half-mile south of Pompeii; ownership granted by the Italian State to Gennaro Matrone. October 30, 1924, sold by Prof. U. Marcellini (dealer), Naples, to Brummer Gallery, New York (stock nos. P1429-P1432); 1925, sold by Brummer Gallery to the MFA for $5805 [see note]. (Accession Date: March 5, 1925)
NOTE: MFA accession nos. 25.44 – 25.47 were purchased together for this amount.
Richard Norton Memorial Fund