Frog effigy pendant
Place of Origin: Cauca and Magdalena River Valleys, Department of Quindío, Colombia
2.5 x 2.2 cm (1 x 7/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Ancient South America Gallery (Gallery LG33)
Cast gold frog effigy pendant with open backed body. A suspension ring is attached to the underside of its head. See 1975.224 and 1975.225 for similar pendants.
Collected by Joaquin Arciniégas, Colombia, by March 1, 1906 (to San José, Costa Rica by May 23, 1908; to San Salvador, El Salvador by June 19, 1916); sold to Doctor Daniel Villatoro Rugama, San Salvador, El Salvador, August 6, 1929; sold to Oliverio Girondo, Paris, January 10, 1930 (to Argentina probably after 1946); with Leon Buki, Buenos Aires, Argentina by January 2, 1975; with Alphonse Jax, New York, by February 1975; to Landon T. Clay, Boston; to MFA, March 12, 1975, gift.
Gift of Landon T. Clay