Frontispiece Leaf from Moralia in Job, Book 28
German (possibly Triers)
Author of text Pope Gregory I (about 540–604)
Place of Manufacture: possibly Triers, Germany
Overall (page dimensions): 33.6 x 22.7 cm (13 1/4 x 8 15/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Tempera and ink on parchment
Not On View
A single leaf from the Moralia in Job, a commentary on the Old Testament Book. The leaf is the frontispiece of a manuscript in the Triers Stadtbibliothek (Moralia in Job, books XXVIII - XXXV, mss 178). 1 column of four text lines in Latin, writing lines in blind (22 blind-ruled lines, but only the lower eight are used, for upper and lower boundary of each of the four lines of text).
Written in a uncial script on verso, carolingian bookhand on recto in red ink.
Until the 19th century, the monastery of St. Martin, Trier, Germany; between the early 19th century and 1887, removed from the manuscript [see note 1]. Constantin Raderschatt, Cologne; January 24-27, 1887, Raderschatt estate sale, Heberle, Cologne, lot 630. Rosy Schilling, Frankfurt. By 1929, Viktor Goldschmidt (b. 1853 - d. 1933), Heidelberg [see note 2]. January, 1941, consigned by Lewis Valentine Randall (formerly Ludwig Rosenthal, b. 1893 - d. 1972), Montreal to Schaeffer Galleries, New York (stock no. 960); October 14, 1944, purchased by Schaeffer; October 17, 1944, sold by Schaeffer to Joseph Brummer, New York (stock no. N6139); May 14, 1949, posthumous Brummer sale, Parke-Bernet Galleries, New York, lot 669A (not in catalogue), to the MFA for $1900. (Accession Date: May 12, 1949)
 The manuscript Gregorii Papae Moralia in Job, Books XXVIII - XXXV (Stadtbibliothek Trier 178), was created in the 11th century, possibly at the monastery of St. Martin. This, its frontispiece, was removed sometime between the early nineteenth century and 1887; see Max Keuffer, Beschreibendes Verzeichnis der Handschriften der Stadtbibliothek zu Trier, vol. 2, Die Kirchenväter-Handschriften (Trier, 1891), pp. 93-95.
 See Georg Swarzenski and Rosy Schilling, "Die Illuminierten Handschriften in frankfurter Besitz" (Frankfurt, 1929), cat. no. 3.
William Francis Warden Fund