Funerary cone

Egyptian
New Kingdom to Late Period, Dynasty 18–30
1550–332 B.C.


Dimensions

Height x diameter: 2.8 x 8.3 cm (1 1/8 x 3 1/4 in.)

Accession Number

RES.72.310

Medium or Technique

Pottery

Not On View

Collections

The Ancient World

Classifications

Architectural elements

Funerary cone fragment of buff clay with tapering cone end broken off and missing. Head end carries a circular stamp that is almost entirely faded and rather indistinct, but impressed hieroglyphic text (arranged in five divided columns) are expected to identify the owner.

Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.

Provenance

By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)

Credit Line

Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way