Funerary cone Amenemhat and Sat-Amen
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18
Davies & MacAdam 110
Height x diameter: 5.1 x 6.6 cm (2 x 2 5/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of red clay. Tapering cone element broken off and missing. Ample traces of red paint/wash. Head bears circular stamp with hieroglyphic text arranged in four columns; impression somewhat faint in some areas.
Translation of text:
(and) his wife, Lady of the House Sat-Amen,
True-of-Voice with the great god.”
Hm.f nbt-pr SA.t-Imn
mAa.t xrw xr nTr aA
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For other examples of this tomb owner see: 72.1782, Res.72.302; Res.72.303; Res.72.305; 72.1800; 72.1807.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #110.
Probably from Dra Abu el-Naga. By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way