Funerary cone of Amenhotep
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 431
Length x diameter: 13 x 9.1 cm (5 1/8 x 3 5/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay with cone element partially intact. Rectangular stamp on head end with hieroglyphic text in four divided rows, identifying the owner as the Scribe of Dispatches/Letters(?) Amenhotep. Impression worn in some areas.
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #Davies and Macadam #431.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way