Funerary cone of Amenhotep and Qedetmeret

Egyptian
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
1550–1070 B.C.


Object Place: Egypt, Possibly from Thebes (Dra Abu el-Naga)

Catalogue Raisonné

Davies & MacAdam 192

Dimensions

Height x diameter: 2.8 x 5.6 cm (1 1/8 x 2 3/16 in.)

Accession Number

72.1792

Medium or Technique

Pottery

Not On View

Collections

The Ancient World

Classifications

Architectural elements

Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay with tapering cone end sawed off and missing; traces of white priming. Head bears a square stamp with hieroglyphic text in three undivided columns identfying the owners as “Overseer of Craftsmen of Min and of Isis, Amenhotep, True-of-Voice and his sister, Lady of the House Qedetmeret” (imy-r Hmwt n Mnw n Ast Imn-Htp mAa xrw snt.f nb.t-pr Qdt-mrt).

Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.

For other examples of same owners see: 72.1790, 72.1791.

Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #192.

Provenance

Probably from Thebes (Dra Abu el-Naga). By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)

Credit Line

Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way